About The Henry J. and Willemina B. Kuhn Day Camp

Mabel Kuhn Cornell was the daughter of Henry J. and Willemina B. Kuhn. From her father, a varnish manufacturer, she inherited a considerable estate. With her husband, Dr. Walter S. Cornell, she made her home on Drexel Road in the Philadelphia neighborhood of Overbrook, and attended the Overbrook Presbyterian Church.

Dr. Cornell served for 31 years as Director of the Division of Medical Services of the Philadelphia Board of Education. Born in 1877 in Philadelphia, he graduated from the University of Pennsylvania Medical School in 1901. He was a member of the Board of Trustees of The College Settlement of Philadelphia.

The College Settlement of Philadelphia wished to acquire an additional site for a day camp. When land adjoining the camp property became available, the Cornell’s purchased it and incorporated it as The Henry J. and Willemina B. Kuhn Day Camp, in memory of Mrs. Cornell’s parents. The camp became a separate facility of The College Settlement.

Mrs. Cornell died in 1965 at age 79; her husband in 1969 at age 92. In 1966, three funds were set up as trusts under Mrs. Cornell’s will, with income from one going to the Kuhn Day Camp.

Our Day Camp campers are bused to camp or dropped off each day and are fed breakfast, lunch and a snack. Basic to the Camp’s function is the belief that no child should be prevented from participating in the Camp’s program due to a lack of funds. For this reason, fees are kept to a minimum (presently $100.00 registration for a four-week session).